Cyber Security is a protection of computer systems and networks from information disclosure, theft of or damage to their hardware, software, or electronic data, as well as from the disruption or misdirection of the services
The National Cyber Security Center (NCSC)
In April 2018, PNG and Australia signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Cyber Security Cooperation which ends 30 June 2022. Initial work under the MoU focuses on:
- Preventing a major cyber security incident during APEC Leaders’ Week (AELW).
- establishing the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC)
Work has since focused on enhancing PNG’s cyber security posture. The MoU comprises the following four elements:
- Developing and enhancing cyber security governance and best practice frameworks;
- Protecting key ICT networks to improve threat awareness, cyber resilience and incident response;
- The NCSC is now protecting the networks of NICTA, the PNG Integrated Government Information System, and the PNG Department of Health; and
- Establishing and running the NCSC to monitor the protected networks for threats and provide incident response support. A multi PNG agency‑led Steering Committee governs the NCSC’s function.
The Steering Committee is led by the Department of Communications, Information and Technology; NICTA; and Office of Security Coordination and Assessments. The Australian Government and WithYouWithMe, the contracted NCSC delivery partner, also sit on the Steering Committee.
Australia contracted WithYouWithMe over 17 August 2018 to 30 June 2022 (this coincides with the MoU end date) to partner with PNG in delivering the commitments under the MoU.
The NCSC Services
NCSC provide levels of defense in the form Endpoint Protection and Network protection for Government Departments. Endpoint protection refers to the approach to of securing your systems and devices from cyber threats while Network protection is securing your network from the cyber threats. Currently the NCSC Network Protection devices are installed at Department of Health, NICTA and the National Data Center. The NCSC Endpoint protection is currently deployed to government departments.